Just how much have I lost?

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Fill er up

So I had my fill on Thursday and I thought I would tell you my experience. Now my first fill I was completely a basket case. I didn't know if it would hurt, how she would find my port and how long it would take. I broke out in a cold sweat and I kept thinking this lap band was a bad idea. When I went for my first visit I wasn't even expecting to get a fill. The doctor just said today is your day. And I responded "I don't know if I am psycologically ready for a fill." He said he would walk me through it and told me everything he did before he did it. And wouldn't you know it was like nothing. Just a little pinch, I didn't feel the burn and some pressure when he put it in.

Fast forward 4 months and I am a pro. I jump right up on the table, pull my shirt up, and put my hands above my head, and wait for the needles with anticipation. The whole process takes maybe 2 minutes. Now this time I will say I was a little sore afterwards. It felt like she had to push down harder to find the port. I never see the doctor anymore just the physicians assistant, but I don't mind. I figure a fill is a fill no matter who does it.

What I love about the visit is the pre-doctor questionnaire by the nurse. Who by the way I don't think is a nurse. It is probably a woman just dressed in scrubs who knows how to take your blood pressure and read a scale. The reason I say this is because this time I actually asked her some questions this time which I thought were pretty general and she had no clue.
Well she asks me about fifty questions like : do you have numbness or tingling in your hands, any shortness of breath, any pain in your legs, any problems with constipation or diarrhea, any hair loss, etc etc.
So this time I casually say "Well what would you say is constipation? Like 2 days, 3 days?" She said well it varies for everyone but if you are worried about it you can talk to the doctor. Well why didn't I think of that. So now I don't know why I thought she could answer another question since the poop thing was obviously above her skill set but I threw another one in. I say "Oh I noticed my bmi is 33 now what is a normal bmi supposed to be?" I am thinking this is the question that will redeem her and show me she has been trained in fat people questions. But her response "well we have a program where you can punch in your height and it will tell us" Now I am thinking she might offer to type in my height into her program but once again I over thought it. Instead she puts me in room 2 and I just wait for the doctor to come in so I can ask a human with a brain.

When the doctor, or physicans assistant came in I asked her about the poop issue. She said if you are not pooping daily to take miralax. My first thought is well don't I need to be around a toilet all day then? She says no not with that brand, but I know I'll try it on a weekend first just to be on the safe side.

I did ask her about my hair. Which she said looked beautiful I might add. :) She said keep a log of protein and food and if I actually am getting 60 grams of protein a day and it is still falling out to make an appointment with the nutritionist. She also added it could be due to protein or just the surgery, or lack of b12 or biotin.

And with that I was off, for my 24 hours of soft foods. Mostly I do shakes and tuna. Yesterday I was back on solids again. I can say I do have restriction. I mean I can feel it going down and a tightness I never had before. I had 1/4 of a salad from Texas road house Friday night and could eat no more. Saturday I had another 1/4 of the salad and once again was done. I am hoping this is the last fill I will need for a while. I just need to lose 6 pounds and I will be in the 100's.

No comments:

Post a Comment